Thursday 22 December 2011

Chocolate Lovers Winter Treat

I am not really what you would call a chocoholic, I like to have the odd chocolate treat every now and then and I’m partial to a slice of chocolate fudge cake once in a while, as a general rule if I had a choice I would always pick a savoury treat over chocolate except when winter sets in and its freezing cold I like to treat myself to a warm mug of indulgent HOT CHOCOLATE.
It all started last year when I discovered these chocolate sticks from Marks and Spencer’s; basically it’s a ball of chocolate at end of a lollipop stick which you stir in milk turning your milk in to gorgeous cup of hot chocolate. I loved the idea so much I wanted to try and find a recipe to have a go at making them and I must say they turned out really well.  I found this recipe on the internet on www.candy.about.com if you put “hot chocolate on a stick” in your search engine you will find many recipe’s on making them and and ideas how to present them as little gifts. The image in the bottom is from a food blog and looks really beautiful I would love to receive such a gorgeous looking gift. Infact I  would cheat and buy some halal marshmallows, as the girl has done there and give them as little Eid gifts I don’t think I’m brave enough to attempt homemade marshmallows though.
Cooking time  10 minutes
Total time 10 minutes
Makes 25 pieces
Ingredients
·         1/2 cup heavy cream
·         14-oz can sweetened condensed milk
·         18 oz (about 3 cups) chopped semi-sweet chocolate or chips
·         4 oz (about 3/4 cup) chopped unsweetened chocolate
·         25 lollipop sticks or more if you want to make the smaller in size
Preparation:
1. Prepare an 8x8 pan by lining it with aluminum foil and spraying the foil with nonstick cooking spray. Place the chopped semi-sweet and unsweetened chocolates in a large heat-safe bowl.
2. Pour the heavy cream and condensed milk into a medium saucepan and whisk until combined. Put the saucepan over medium heat.
3. Bring the liquid to a simmer, whisking frequently so that the condensed milk does not scorch on the bottom of the pan.
4. Once the liquid is simmering, pour the hot cream over the chopped chocolate and let it sit for a minute to soften. Begin whisking the cream and chocolate together, until the chocolate is melted and you have a shiny, smooth mixture. It will be fairly thick.
5. Pour the chocolate into the prepared pan and smooth it into an even layer. Allow it to sit and firm up overnight, or for 3-4 hours in the refrigerator.
6. Once the fudge block is firm, use a large, sharp knife to cut it into twenty-five pieces (five rows and five columns). For the smoothest cuts, rinse the knife in hot water and dry it between each cut. Skewer each block with a lollipop stick.
7. To make hot chocolate, heat a mug of milk (water does not work well in this instance) and add a chocolate block. Allow it to sit and soften for a minute, then vigorously stir until it is dissolved.
8. Store Hot Chocolate On A Stick in an airtight container for up to a week at room temperature, two weeks in the refrigerator, or up to a month in the freezer.



1 comment: